Sunday, October 16, 2011

I have a Dream. Its a fun Dream

I am dressed in my Brooks Brother’s pinstriped suit wearing a rep necktie with my white button down Brooks Brother’s oxford shirt.

I am standing on a podium in front of 1500 demonstrators in Liberty Square who want to “Occupy Wall Street” and the demonstrators are giving me their full attention which is the fun part.

And I am asking them what they really want. SILENCE! All I ever heard is that they wanted was long jail terms for Wall Street and banking officials guilty of greed. No Problem. The country is full of potential scape goats.

What else do you want? I ask. SILENCE, AGAIN. There is some mumbling and waving of signs that talk about Wall Street lies and greed.

Do you want the government to run all big businesses, I ask? Like the post office? Or like the railroads and telephone companies in England before Maggie Thatcher? Or Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac in this country?

By the way, I ask whose idea was it that everybody deserves a house (or maybe two) even if they can’t afford one and was that the trigger that set off the current depression ? (correct).

Do you remember the ad for mortgages that read “No Docs” or “No Wage Checks”? Did these ads run in The Washington Post too? Was that a government program run by the same types of people that might run the banks if you had your way?

Or, are you really after forgiveness for your own $80,000 education loan because it took you five years to complete four years of college work in an institution whose tuition has increased at more than twice the inflation rate? (And by the way, have you ever checked out the standard of living of the tenured professors who are pretty adept at getting government grants and working the system)?

And I am glad to see that you have a lot of Union support here. I am still waiting for their apologies for being so successful in raising wages and benefits so that American businesses moved to low wage countries abroad. And this contributed to higher unemployment and discontent among their own membership. Maybe what you really want is more of my money so that you can continue your “entitled” living . Sorry, there is not much left. My house in Greenwich won’t sell. And to save money for your sisters’ private school and future college expenses I am living full time in the summer house which won’t sell either because of the housing bubble generated by two government run agencies and a lot of Congressmen.

My income tax has increased and will probably will go up again, because I am still considered rich which just isn’t so, since I am paying double real estate tax and 6.5% sales tax and tax on gas, telephones, etc. etc. And I am paying a high fee to my tax accountant because I can’t understand the IRS’s many directives.

Now quit throwing those eggs. I can’t afford $13 plus 6 ½ /% sales tax to get this Brooks Brother’s suit cleaned again and my girlfriend who lives on a beach in Florida is still complaining about the spots on my clothing.

Save the eggs, boil them and invite me for a lunch. Kindly invite my girlfriend too. That will save both of us money.

1 comment: