Friday, July 31, 2009

Sound Bite Society -- take a poll

Some say this is a “sound byte” society – that intellectually we exist on dehydrated bullion cubes – no hearty soups with real vegetables and meat.

And – these critics add that because we learn from dehydrated sound bites, our thinking (and conclusions) are equally dehydrated – lacking real heartiness.

Here is a little unscientific test of that criticism. What follows are two articles. The first is a dehydrated “sound bite” of the second – about 1/3 of the words.

Kindly read the first one. Then pause – and ask yourself if it has enough meat to be persuasive – to make you agree or at least be sympathetic to the premise of the article. Then read the second one. Did it do anymore to persuade you – or is it just a waste of words and time? Did the firs do the job as good as or better than the second article? If so, maybe a “sound bite” society is needed in this time-restricted world. If it took the second article to get your agreement, then maybe we can’t count on “sound bite intelligence” to provide the correct answers.

If neither version does anything for you, then same on the writer for lousy thinking or writing or both.

2 comments:

  1. Not a fair comparison in my view. The full version introduces a concept not in the sound bite version -- that being that the time is right for a new party based on the notion of statesmanship.

    Sometimes less is more. Who said "I would have written a shorter letter but I didn't have time".

    The question is if you take out the meat and only leave the bun when you get to a sound bite, or can you boil a conversation down to the real essence.

    Not all sound bites are bad, but many are. One size does not fit all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Southern Smile......long is not always better. "Be brief, be BRIGHT, be gone." That's what I want my kids, my associates, and myself to strive for. It's got to be more than a sound byte, but I need to hold the attention span of the recipient of the information. The online attention span of today's generation is 90 seconds. I can say a lot in 90 seconds. And now, my 90 seconds is up!

    ReplyDelete